Saturday 15 October 2011

William Troost-Ekong Interview








Name: William Troost-Ekong
Country of birth: Netherlands
Position: Central defender
Height: 6 3"
Current Club: Tottenham Hotspur
Previous ClubsSv Overbos (Netherlands), Bishops Stortford, Fulham FC


When did you realise you had the potential to be a footballer and what inspired you to want you to become a pro player?

I've played football from as far as I can remember. I really started playing football day in day out when I started at primary school and always used to play with the older boys, this is when one of the teachers suggested to my mum that I should try and get some good coaching by joining a local club. Becoming a pro footballer has always been my dream, the thought of being able to do what you love most everyday at the highest level is amazing. It wasnt untill I was 11/12 and provoked intrest from proffesional clubs that I decided I was going to make this my mission to try and succeed. But it wasn't untill i signed a contract for Spurs at the end of year 11 that we really realized I had the potential to go far.


 
What would you say the difference is of youth football in Holland and England, how do they compare in terms or level and organisation?

I think there are alot of similarities, Holland is renowned for its youth football and the coaching techniques for young players. From what I have seen and experienced amateur football in holland is at a higher level than in england in its organisation and its facilities.
But at academy level those things are very similar, my coach Alex Inglethorpe has adopted alot of the coaching philosophy, together with the spanish who are currently dominating the football scene.

Having seen you at training prior to sending you on a trial at Fulham, I thought and gave you advice on a couple of things to take into the trials, how do you rate the importance of young players to listen to their coaches at any level?

I think that the advice of coaches is the most important thing to help them develop. And it wasnt long after joining an academy when I realised that the result of games is irrelivant to becomming a pro. If you dont listen to what your coaches tell you, you can't improve your game. The players that go the furthest tend to be quick learners besides having natural talent, you have to be, otherwise you get left behind.

You didn’t get in at Fulham FC, at the time you were slightly unfit and comming back from a ankle fracture, did you think at the time your chances were limited or the trial system at Fulham was somewhat wrong?

No I think it was right for me, at the time I wasn't ready yet. But I did think that it was very unclear when I trialled/played there because there was a change of staff in all areas at the time which seemed to affect of new players there. I learnt a lesson not to try and force anything, which was hard because every young player is dreaming of their break and want to grab any opportunity presented to them. At the time I found it very hard not to get in straight away but looking back at it now my patience payed of when I went there the second time.

Having been called up to the Dutch U19 squad to play England, how did you find your first call up and what does it mean to wear the famous Orange Jersey?

It was the best experience I have had! I think it is every football lovers dream to play for their country, and I think it was made even more special for me to make my debut on my 18th birthday against England.
Not only playing but training with the best players in the country was an amazing experience, in a week in which we faced England and Germany we trained very hard to try adopt to the style the coach had in mind which was especially important for me and the other new players in the group. My family and I couldn't of been more proud and hopefully I can make this the start of many more appearances in Orange!


What has been your biggest challenge so far and do you feel there are harder challenges to come?

My hardest challenge must have been the switch from playing on the wing and up front to a centre back when I was at Fulham. I am still working hard to learn my position inside out and get as much experience which is key to become a world class defender.
I am always faced with challenges. I found it very hard in patches last season when I wasnt playing which can be very frustrating. But in football you always have your ups and downs and it is learning how to stay in the middle throughout both periods and not get carried away is important.

You now have the benefits of a full time academy training schedule, I also know you travel to and from Holland a lot, how demanding is academy training, and what would you say are the one or two things you do in training that are key to your football career so far?

I dont think there is just one or two things in training that have got me this far. The steps I have made have come down to being focussed and pushing myself in training everyday, only like that I will get anyting out the fitness, technique, positonal and strengthening training we do. I miss out on seeing my family and friends as much as I like, I am not the only one there are a group of players that come from as far as Australia to persuit a carreer here at spurs. I try to go home whenever I have time off but sometimes that may only be sunday on which I need to rest and recover so then they come over to England.

Breaking into the Spurs reserves at 18 is obviously a good step, how far away do you see your chances of getting that call from Mr Redknapp and what would it mean?

This season its the aim to be involved and play regularly in the reserves. It is still far away and I need to prove myself at every level before that chance might come around. This season I've played in a training game with the first team once which went well. Every player at the clubs long or short term goal is to be one of the 11 playing under Harry Redknapp and it would be living the dream when you do.

In brief, what would it mean to represent your country at senior level?
Playing for spurs first team will be something special but like I said playing for Hollands senior team would be top of the list.

What would you like to be if not a footballer?
I find this question difficult because I dont like imagening what anything else would be like. But being realistic I have private lessons in Business at the moment, so it would have to be something along those lines.

Thank you very much William, its has been good catching up with you, wish you all the best in your football career and will keep an eye out for your senior debut.

No comments:

Post a Comment