Tuesday 18 October 2011

Lukas Lidakevicius Interview

Name: Lukas Lidakevicius
Country of birth: Lithuania
Position: Goalkeeper
Height: 185cm
Current Club: Barnsley FC
Previous Clubs: National Football Academy of Lithuania
National Team ages played for: 15’s, 17’s, 19’s 


I caught up with Lukas Lidakevicius, a young goalkeeper at Barnsley FC.


Coming from a country like Lithuania where the number one sport is Basketball, how did you get involved in football?

I was eight at the time and I was at school one day when a football coach called A.Timofejavas came to my school and offered me and a couple of the other lads the chance to play football, I said 'YES' straight away and never looked back.


When did you realise you wanted to be a goalkeeper with all those outfield positions available?

Before I started my first training session I knew I wanted to be a goalkeeper, this because my brother whom is 5 years older then me used to be a goalkeeper so I knew that was the position I wanted to play, I enjoyed watching every game he played and I knew that I wanted to do the same, I think being a goalkeeper runs in our family’s blood.

You have played for the national youth team from a very young age, in fact you have represented your country in many international competitions up to the U19s has it been a good experience and what has been your best moment?

I’ve played a lot of international games for Lithuania,  I think that is a brilliant experience because not everyone gets a chance to represent their country. I’ve enjoyed every game I’ve played for my National team and I’m very proud of that.
I think the best moment is when you are singing your National Anthem, it gives me a massive boost before the game!

What are the similarities or the difference in Lithuanian youth development and the English?

Similarities – playing the same game which is football, but there are a lot of differences, the biggest difference is “coaching”.
Coaches’ knowledge and experience in England are much better, as it is a footballing nation but Lithuania’s coaches are catching up with many having gained experience both in England and in other countries as well as stepping up their methods at home!

I first brought you to England for a week’s trial at Fulham FC with the club really happy with your ability in goal and they wanted to sign you but something went wrong, what was the word in Lithuania?

I really don’t know anything about what happened afterwards, but I knew Fulham were happy with my performance. 

With the move fallen at Fulham FC you went back to Lithuania how did the Barnsley move come around?

I went back home to the Lithuanian National Academy and trained hard, I had a big desire to come back to England and play football over here, an Agent heard of me and signed me and he arranged a trial at Barnsley FC, I guess my determination so far has paid off.

Making a move to Barnsley’s academy last year, this will be your second season, you have been in the first team bench for a couple of games this season, but what has been your best moment or game?

I had more than one “best moment” while here at Barnsley but playing  the last 10 minutes  for first team against Scunthorpe United in pre-season  was my BEST moment of course and every win for Barnsley FC is a great moment.

I hear good things about you, Barnsley are doing well in the Academy league and watching you Vs Chelsea last year it seems a solid side, what is atmosphere in the squad like and what is the aim?

This year we are doing very well, we have a lot of good players and our team spirit is brilliant, everyone has a winner’s mentality and that I guess is the key to our success.
Our aim is to win league and play the other winners, our main aim is to be the champions of England!

Well Lukas, thank you very much for your time, and I know we will be hearing about you in the near future, hopefully playing for Barnsley’s first team or gracing a premiership sides goal alongside your national team.




No comments:

Post a Comment