Monday 7 March 2011

Growing into Benfica and the rage

I could easily go through life as a man watching football, happy to support my team from afar, but the truth is, my team is more than a team, it’s almost a way of life, and a family stone.
Portuguese football is not the strongest in Europe at the present time, but never the less it’s still a vital  and important championship for the people in the country and the immigrants who turn on their Cabo Tv or Streaming feeds from across the globe to watch the big three play.

From the moment I can remember, I have supported Benfica, My father installed it in me and the whole clan from birth, Benfica was the family team.

When I was old enough to understand, my father sat me down and told me that he had supported FC Porto in his teens, mostly due to the fact that he was born up north in Gaia, across the river from Porto.

The explanation for the switch was that he felt FC Porto were an obnoxious club, the whole way of life from the way it was ran, to the way most FC Porto fans spoke and behaved was against his believe and ways.

My father secretly changed to Benfica as a youngster, and only until he moved away to the colonies in Africa, like Angola and Mozambique in his late teens, did he openly supported Benfica.

In my views when a youngster, were of FC Porto being a club hell bent on doing anything and everything to win matches.

On my annual trips up to Gaia and Porto the atmosphere on match day was intense, the blue and white tops in the shop windows would turn my stomach in, at the tender age of 9 the last i remember.

But Benfica has a tradition of being a family club, a club supported nationally and worldwide with Sporting being the other club closely followed by a considerably number of supporters nationally. However FC Porto were and i believe still are only supported in the north of Portugal with a few supporters across the country .


But Benfica is a long standing part of my life, small examples are that my favourite colour is red due to the kit, I will have no dark blue or any green and white in my house, my daughter supports Benfica, Manchester United and Fulham (Man Utd due to mother and Fulham as my second team). Her Great-grandmother from mom’s side is a die-hard Benfica fan, and the only thing to keep her from praying would be a Benfica match, and she also makes sure each grandchild has a Benfica kit by the age of one.

To the Rage:
The rage of the cheating and the conspiracy is what makes me and many of my Benfica family’s blood boil, both at home and all over the world, if twitter as a tool of communication is anything to go by, at the response to the Braga v Benfica match.


Last night was a good example of the way the north team of Braga, hell bent on creating an atmosphere and damage to throw Benfica off the title, and pave the way for FC Porto to lead the championship by 11 points.


From Golf Balls, Coins, Lighters and who else knows what was thrown at the Benfica players, it is a disgrace, but very common in the north now days. Often an FC Porto sponsored Golf fest.

Ahead of local derbies and classicos, there are always reports of Golf balls being sold out, and in strict searches, these still pass.

But it wasn’t only the supporters on their own, the stadium announcer was egging supporters on with anti Benfica chants (against FIFA rules)

Braga and its supporters made sure when Benfica fans celebrated the equalizer, that they were immediately assaulted not only by the fans but also by the police.

And for what went on in the pitch, I will let you watch this Video Courtesy of AVOZDAAGUIA.COM

Benfica until my last breath...

1 comment: